So here are their updates...separately:
Kyle:
At 3 years old, he is 32 pounds and 37.5" tall (50th% for both). Perfectly average. Doc is not happy that a single veggie does not pass this boy's lips and suggested I try to sneak some veggies into his food...veggie crackers or the Jessica Seinfeld book 'Deceptively Delicious' may be in our future. Also, his blood pressure was good. Yes, they take a 3 year old's BP. He cooperated very well for the doctor and answered all her questions like "what is your name?", "are you a boy or a girl?", "how old are you?", stand on one leg, hop on one foot, jump, kick, etc.
He had to get blood drawn to check his iron. He did fine w/ the finger poke but absolutely freaked out when the nurse tried to put the band-aid on. He refused to let her and cried his little eyes out. While he was having his crying jag over the band-aid, she gave him his flu shot. He hardly noticed, except he wasn't happy that I pulled his pants down for her to do it!
At 6 months, she is 16 lbs, 8 oz (60th %) and 26.5" long (97th %!!!). An interesting note...Kyle was exactly the same length at this age, but was a full 2.5 pounds heavier--he was 19 lbs at 6 months!!
Doc is perfectly happy to hear that she is only eating cereal right now. She said maybe she has 'refined tastes' and doesn't fall for the the pureed baby food. She said to give her some table foods on Thanksgiving and see if we find anything she likes that way. In any case, she is not concerned if she doesn't eat any other solids until 9 months since she is obviously thriving on her current diet.
Doc also said her extreme stranger and separation anxiety are normal for this age. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to help her through this rough phase and the doc reassured us that it isn't personal when she cries for other people. She's just being a baby....literally ;-)
No sign of teeth yet. Doc was impressed that she is sitting so well at this age. Poor baby had to get an oral vaccine and 4 shots--3 vaccines and a flu shot. She was a trooper though and only cried for a second--much less than her brother. :-) She has to go back in a month for the booster dose of the flu shot. Her next appointment is at 9 months and she can look forward to NO shots at that time. Yay!
Daddy also braved his flu shot with no tears.
Here is Kelsey's message to the medical community (she discovered her tongue today and is having fun sticking it out at everyone!):
And just for fun...Kyle was about the same age when he discovered his tongue:

I'm so glad it is behind us. Two hours at the doctor's office with a baby who hadn't eaten in 3.5-4 hours and a antsy pre-schooler was exhausting for me....
We are looking forward to 2 more days of work this week and a long weekend with family and good food!
5 comments:
Are her eyes still blue? I couldn't tell, they looked darker in the pics. I can't wait to see you guys Friday! Are you staying for the whole weekend? Casey has to work but I'll have lots of free time! Also, I'm working on the tutu. It's red and white.
Yes, her eyes are still very blue. Sometimes it is hard to tell because I always have to fix the red eye which makes her whole eye darker. We plan to stay for the whole weekend...as long as the kids cooperate!
Hooray for bravind the Doctor's visit!!! I know the drama that can go on. Happy, healthy, beautiful kids is what you got!!!
I think your are absolutely right when you say you will forget this day by next year... infact, at 4 they don't try to be center of attention anymore (it will just be something else - haahaa) It sounds like things went well and I'm happy that the kids are as healthy and happy as they look... now Mommy needs a spa day - am I right?
why are our kids so similar? First Samuel & Kyle and now Sydney & Kelsey? The early stranger anxiety (which is way better for Syd now though she hates stuffed Santa so the real deal should be a nightmare) & now the food thing. Syd hated baby food. I assumed she just didn't like food in general. At a little over 7 mo I gave her some soft table food because she was practically grabbing my plate. She's been on table food ever since! The only way I can get her to eat pureed food is if she has some solid food to distract her! She LOVES FOOD now. Everyone comments on how much she loves food. It's a little comical. And she's always had great fine-motor skills. I seem to recall it took Sam closer to 9 mo to pick up a cheerio but syd was grabbing food by 7. Anyway, hope you have as good luck w/ solids as we did once you try the table food.
Post a Comment