Friday, December 19, 2008

Snowy Day and the Poor Train

We had a big snowstorm today...as did much of the state of Michigan. Kyle was begging to go out and play this morning, so out they went. This was about 11am this morning, a few hours before the snow stopped falling. Bill spent a couple hours shoveling and snowblowing...he figures there is about a foot on the ground and the drifts are deeper than that even. It is too light and fluffy to build a snowman...good for the guy who had to shovel it, bad for the boy who wanted to build a snowman!
Since we were pretty much stuck in the house today...the street still isn't plowed...we finally had the time to work on the gingerbread train that has been sitting in a box on the top of the fridge for weeks. I put it all together while Kyle took his nap so that he could decorate it when he got up.
Here we are, decorating the train. He had great fun with this (mom controlled the 'glue', aka icing) and Kyle worked his magic with the candies. For a kid who avoids the 'art area' at school, he is pretty creative and can spend a long time working on projects like this.

He was happily occupied, so I went about my business...making dinner, feeding Kelsey, etc.
Bill commented on how good Kyle was being and how long the gingerbread train was keeping him entertained. I walked by to check on his work of art and this is what I found....
The train was completely dismantled. I started in on him with the ole' "Kyle! What did you do to the train?!" but quickly caught myself and let it go.
Lesson learned...never leave a 3 year old alone with 'project' consisting of a pile of cookies, icing and candy. It was cute while it lasted. And at least he had fun and it kept him busy longer than most any other activity I can come up with...even if it means he destroyed the thing.
Now what do I do with it? Gingerbread train, say hello to the trash can...


3 comments:

MyOhMy said...

Years from now he will just remember how cool you were to let him try - what a good mama

Jen said...

ha ha ha It is never good when they're being too quiet!!!

Just the Four of Us said...

You guys have REAL snow! How fun! My brother said you got some good stuff.

Poor train! But it's true--leaving a 3 year old alone with all that good stuff is just heaven for the 3 year old! Tee hee!