Friday, August 22, 2008

Kyle's First Lunchbox

In case anyone was wondering...yes, we did go to Target today.

After a mini meltdown this morning--Kyle fell and bumped his head and then had a tantrum about the clothes I picked out for him to wear--and a little talk about how I just wanted to have a fun day with him, we headed out to the mall, followed by a trip to the ever popular Target. He was incredibly good once we got out of the house, walked with me, listened to me and told me when he had to go potty (twice). As a reward, he got to play in the play area at the mall--not my favorite place, but I had to feed Kelsey anyway, so it worked out nicely.

Kyle is now the proud owner of this snazzy lunchbox. He picked it out all by himself, much to my pleasure--and Bill's.

Bill had a feeling he would immediately go for the Dora lunchbox (and even though every little boy I know likes Dora, Dora 'gear' is usually pink). Of course, that is exactly what he did. "I like the Dora one!" Um...Daddy would like you to pick something else. The other choices were Cars, Sponge Bob and Spiderman. I like the choice of Cars for a 3 year old.

Oh, and thanks to Kyle, we actually paid for it and didn't just walk out of the store with it. Kyle insisted on keeping it with him in the cart while I put everything else underneath since he was riding in the basket. Well, with Kelsey in the carseat on the front of the cart, I couldn't see what was in the basket. I put everything on the belt, including the stickers in Kyle's hand, paid for our purchases and started to walk away when Kyle asked "mom, don't we have to pay for this?" and held up the lunchbox. Well, yes Kyle, we sure do! Such an honest soul. I thanked him for telling me then and not waiting for me to find it while I was loading everything into the van and have to haul everyone back into the store in the 90 degree heat.

He needs a lunchbox for daycare because he is moving to the preschool room in a week and they like the kids to bring their lunch in a bag or box. Up until now, we just put his lunch items in a small fridge in the classroom, loose-like. This is a big step toward 'big-boydom' if you ask me.

We went to an open house and met his new teachers (Mrs. Chandra and Ms. Faith) and checked out his new room earlier this week. His teachers are wonderful and he loved the new room. They have a water table, a sand 'box' (filled with rice and corn to play in), a computer and even a pet bunny. I think he will grow tremendously in this new classroom. Mrs. Chandra made a point to tell us that it is a messy classroom. Kyle will be in heaven.

As a 'thank you' to his current teachers, I picked up a bunch of arts and crafts supplies at Target today for the classroom--markers, crayons, glue sticks, construction paper, stickers, etc. And a couple bottles of nice soap at Bath and Body Works. I can only imagine how many times they must wash their hands in a day with all those snotty noses running around. They are having a pizza party on Tuesday as an 'end of the year celebration'.

Kyle will really miss Ms. Kori. I think he has a crush on her. He had a breakdown about the shirt Bill put on him on Wednesday and when we asked him what the problem was, he said "Ms Kori don't like this shirt". Mmmm....dressing to impress the ladies already. By the way, Ms. Kori liked the shirt very much and made sure to tell him a hundred times. :-)

Well, that is about enough random thoughts for today. Happy Friday!

3 comments:

sjponte15 said...

Perfect choice for a big boy lunchbox! Can't wait to hear all about his new room. Are all his friends moving with him?

Jill said...

Sharon, did I ever tell you I go to Target every week. I love the place. Lauren would die of jealousy if she saw Kyle's lunchbox. She wanted Cars underpants and I had to draw the line. They were obviously for little boys (KWIM?) I'm glad Kyle is getting to move up with is friends. Yay!

Crissy said...

Ryan loves Dora. I've been on the hunt for a new backpack and all the ones I like are Dora...which means pinks/purples. I nearly bought one, but didn't. I'm sure Craig (and Ryan) thank me for that.

And Kyle the honest soul? He didn't get that from you, did he? Don't fool your readers, you wouldn't have gone back in there to pay for that! ;-)